- Why scientific theories can’t be proved absolutely
- Could we survive the trip to another planet?
- What's really scary isn't Halloween
- Why can't science answer our question about God?
- How certain are proven facts?
- Is global warming a serious issue?
- The Surprising Intelligence of Non-Human Primates
- The problems of colonizing another planet
- How could global warming make our winters colder?
- a scientific theory examined
- beyond earth
- Great Ideas
- how do we know that?
- humans, primates, and other life on earth
- in the last 10,000 years or so
- Questions beyond Science
- saving our home – thoughts about global warming
- science and religion
- something new about something old
Category Archives: Great Ideas
By the time most of us have learned to read a clock, we have come to understand time as objective. It might feel like a long time to Christmas or summer vacation, or a long time until we finally get … Continue reading
Homo sapiens is facing the twin challenges of environmental pollution and militarism. Each is potentially destructive enough on its own to lead to the extinction of our species. In addition, they may each escalate the intensity of the other. As food … Continue reading
If we haven’t found something we’re looking for, most of us give up in less than forty years. Obviously the Higgs Bosom belongs in a different category altogether. Some of the best minds in the world spending billions of dollars … Continue reading
Europe has just launched a spaceship called Goce which can monitor tiny fluctuations in Earth’s gravity. These fluctuations are caused by such things as changes in ocean currents, melting ice caps, underground lava flows, and the presence of underground stores … Continue reading
During this last week, we have celebrated the birthdays of two great men – Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin. Lincoln was President of the United States during the American Civil War, the war in which Americans killed each other by … Continue reading