- Why scientific theories can’t be proved absolutely
- Could we survive the trip to another planet?
- What's really scary isn't Halloween
- Why can't science answer our question about God?
- How certain are proven facts?
- Is global warming a serious issue?
- The Surprising Intelligence of Non-Human Primates
- The problems of colonizing another planet
- How could global warming make our winters colder?
- a scientific theory examined
- beyond earth
- Great Ideas
- how do we know that?
- humans, primates, and other life on earth
- in the last 10,000 years or so
- Questions beyond Science
- saving our home – thoughts about global warming
- science and religion
- something new about something old
Category Archives: saving our home – thoughts about global warming
Scientists have agreed that, unusual as some weather event may be, a single event cannot by itself be clearly linked to the climate change they are predicting is going to occur as a result of the greenhouse gases we humans … Continue reading
It seems pretty obvious to most people living in northern Europe, and both northern and southern states in America this winter that global warming is certainly not happening to them. Yes, it’s warmer in Alaska than usual, but banks of … Continue reading
Homo sapiens, that species of which we are members, is an astonishing organism. We have learned, invented, ventured, discovered, and done things that no other species in the five billion years of our planet’s history has ever accomplished. And yet for … Continue reading
Homo sapiens is facing the twin challenges of environmental pollution and militarism. Each is potentially destructive enough on its own to lead to the extinction of our species. In addition, they may each escalate the intensity of the other. As food … Continue reading
The Journal of Geophysical Research Atmospheres has just published the results of a world-wide study that might, paradoxically, contain a kernel of good news about climate change. Admittedly, it does require the acceptance that climate change is happening and that … Continue reading
Let’s assume for the sake of this discussion that serious climate change is happening including rising temperatures, acidification of the oceans, continued mass extinction of plant and animal species, reduced crop yields, water shortages, and air pollution. Let’s also assume … Continue reading