- Why scientific theories can’t be proved absolutely
- Could we survive the trip to another planet?
- What's really scary isn't Halloween
- Why can't science answer our question about God?
- How certain are proven facts?
- Is global warming a serious issue?
- The Surprising Intelligence of Non-Human Primates
- The problems of colonizing another planet
- How could global warming make our winters colder?
- a scientific theory examined
- beyond earth
- Great Ideas
- how do we know that?
- humans, primates, and other life on earth
- in the last 10,000 years or so
- Questions beyond Science
- saving our home – thoughts about global warming
- science and religion
- something new about something old
Category Archives: Tolerance
The BBC is hosting a stargazing programme asking amateur astronomers to find galaxies in far outer space. An engineer living in England, Zbigniew ‘Zbish’ Chetnik, has an observatory in his garden at home, and was the first person to spot a … Continue reading
Homo sapiens is facing the twin challenges of environmental pollution and militarism. Each is potentially destructive enough on its own to lead to the extinction of our species. In addition, they may each escalate the intensity of the other. As food … Continue reading
A reader who has just finished my book, The Big Bang to Now: All of Time in Six Chunks has asked me what the difference is between Orientals and Asians. I had thought the terms were more or less synonymous, both meaning … Continue reading
During this last week, we have celebrated the birthdays of two great men – Abraham Lincoln and Charles Darwin. Lincoln was President of the United States during the American Civil War, the war in which Americans killed each other by … Continue reading
In 1170, 839 years ago today, as he was beginning Vespers in the cathedral, Thomas Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury,was murdered by four soldiers of the English King Henry II. Becket and the King had been close friends for years, but when Henry … Continue reading
I’ve been thinking a lot recently about the problem between Evangelicals and liberals (for want of a better description, though “liberal” is a poor description). Generally speaking, it seems to me that Evangelicals believe they have found the true faith, … Continue reading